Sometimes those moments of encouragement are what actually keep us pressing on. Cynthia Heald is a sought-after speaker and the author of nearly 30 books written specifically for women, including several titles in her Becoming a Woman Bible Study series. Needless to say, it’s kind of a given that Heald knows a little something about offering encouragement to women.
Her latest book is LIFE PROMISES FOR WOMEN, which contains inspirational scriptures and devotional thoughts. In the introduction, Heald shares her motivation for writing this book. She also reviews the importance of making vows and reminds us of God’s faithfulness to keep His promises to us. She goes on to quote a few of those promises from the Bible.
This book is divided into eight parts:
Beauty: Beauty is as Beauty Does, Walking in Beauty
Passion: A Life with No Regrets, Ignite Your Spirit
Wisdom: Walking with the Wise, The Power of Observation
Integrity: The Back of the Bus, To Err is Human
Selflessness: Holding Up a Mirror, Choosing to Serve
Graciousness: Random Acts of Kindness, A Legacy of Loyalty, Laughter, and Love
Contentment: Peace of Mind, Count Your Blessings
Courage: In the Face of Danger, The Courage to Overcome
Each page includes a short devotional, as well as a Life Promise, which is a Bible verse the devotional is based on, and a Meditation, which is a thought to reflect on for the day. For example, in a devotional about modeling our lives after the Proverbs 31 woman, the Life Promise is taken from 2 Corinthians 7:1: “Because we have these promises dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God.” (Holy Bible, NLT) The Meditation to reflect on for the day is: “Fearing the Lord is giving God His rightful place as my Father, Savior, and Lord.” There are also notable quotes printed at the bottom of some of the pages.
A number of these devotionals include personal illustrations from the author, but most consist of brief stories of memorable and remarkable women throughout history, whether real or fictional. They include Antigone, the main character in Sophocles’ ancient play Antigone, who was caught in a moral dilemma; Jane Bennet, the oldest sister in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice; Dolley Madison; Laura Ingalls Wilder; Harriett Tubman; and Rosa Parks. Read about women from the Bible like Lydia, Ruth and Jehosheba. They are women who inspire, who we can learn from, who rose up in some unique way and made a difference in the world. They are ordinary women just like you and me who did some extraordinary things.
This small book is the perfect size to tuck into your purse for a quick boost of encouragement throughout the day, or keep on your kitchen table to read with your morning coffee. It also makes a great gift book for teachers, girlfriends, or perhaps a woman who has recently committed her life to Christ. Nice additional touches are an attached satin bookmark to hold your place and beautiful floral pages for a feminine look.
In LIFE PROMISES FOR WOMEN, Cynthia Heald creates yet another wonderful book for women, offering encouragement straight from the Word of God. And that is the best place from where to receive a breath of life during our crazy and chaotic lives.
Book Review by Lynda Schab
Title: Life Promises for Women
Subtitle: Inspirational Scriptures and Devotional Thoughts
Author: Cynthia Heald
No. of Pages: 208 pages
Product Dimensions: 4″ x 7″
“Life Promises for Women” is now available in all branches of National Bookstore, Powerbooks, Philippine Christian Bookstore and Fully Booked nationwide.
OTHER BOOKS TO LIVE BY:
- 101 Success Secrets for Women by Sue Augustine
- 365 Things Every Successful Leader Should Know by John Edmund Haggai
- 50 Ways to Feel Great Today by David Biebel, James Dill, MD, and Bobbie Dill, RN.
- 8 Steps to Positive Living by Frank Freed PhD
- Believe You Can by John Mason
- Best Inspirational Stories of the Year
- Breakfast for the Soul by Various Authors
- Cheesiest Pinoy Pick Up Lines Book 1 and 2
- Dear God, Send Me a Soulmate by Rose Sweet
- God’s Best for My Life by Lloyd John Ogilvie
- Gaining Through Losing by Evelyn Christenson
- Get Healthy for Heaven’s Sake by Lisa Morrone
- How to Find Your Personal Path to Success by Robin Chaddock
- Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids
- Life Lessons for Mothers
- Life Promises for Women by Cynthia Heald
- Life Promises for Success by Jim Tressel
- Strength for Today by John MacArthur
- Thank You! – a compilation of thanksgiving quotations
- Today’s the Day by by Jim Stovall – Winners’ Wisdom to Succeed in Every Situation
- Turning Points by David Jeremiah
- Words to Live By