Internationally renowned filmmaker Hong Sang-Soo is in the spotlight this month as a selection of his films are now available on streaming service Upstream via GMovies.
Dubbed as Korea’s Woody Allen not only because of how prolific he has also been as a director but the similarity of their work which usually are melancholic and focus on the dynamics between men and women, romantic entanglements, personal anxieties, and ordinary conversations which gradually turn uncomfortable and revealing. The Cannes Film Festival Un Certain Regard winner has made more than two dozen films and won countless awards over the past couple of decades which has earned him a significant following at film festivals and among arthouse audiences.
GMovies, the leading online ticketing platform in the country, now gives Filipinos a chance to enjoy Hong’s award-winning films through UPSTREAM.PH, the newest Transactional Video on Demand (TVOD) platform.
Now streaming are an exhilarating collection of some of Hong’s most entertaining movies:
● Cast: Kim Sang-kyung, Moon So-ri, Joon-Sang Yoo
● Synopsis: The filmmaker Jo Moon-kyung and his friend Bang Joong-sik swap memories about the trips they both made to the same town of Tongyeong, where, as it turns out, they had met and befriended the same people
The Woman Who Ran
● Cast: Kim Minhee, Seo Younghwa, Song Seonmi
● Synopsis: While her husband is on a business trip, Gamhee meets three of her friends. She visits the first two at their homes, and the third she encounters by chance at a theater. While they make friendly conversation, as always, several currents flow independently above and below the surface of the sea.
Right Now, Wrong Then
● Cast: Jung Jaeyoung, Kim Minhee
● Synopsis: Quite by accident, a film director arrives in town a day early. With time to kill before his lecture the next day, he stops by a restored, old palace and meets a fledgling artist. She’s never seen any of his films but knows he’s famous. They talk and together, they go to her workshop to look at her paintings and have sushi and soju. More conversation follows, and drinks, and then an awkward get-together with friends where all sorts of secrets are revealed. All the while, they may or may not be falling for each other. Then, quite unexpectedly, it begins again, but now things appear somewhat different.
● Cast: Kim Sangkyung, Yu Junsang, Moon Sori
● Synopsis: A young woman returning to her old school to visit her professor also runs into her old boyfriend and her senior, each of whom has a past with her.
In Another Country
● Cast: Isabelle Huppert, Yu Junsang, Jung Yumi
● Synopsis: A three-tiered story centered on a trio of French tourists visiting the same seaside resort.
To book these films on GMovies, simply download the GMovies app or visit gmovies.ph. Next, select the movie you want to stream from the “Home” or “Stream Now” page. Then, tap the “Pay” button. You can choose your payment option on the “Payment” page. After your payment confirmation, you have the option to “Stream Now on UPSTREAM” or watch later from the “My Shows” tab.
GMovies’ partnership with UPSTREAM.PH is a testament to Globe’s commitment to uplift the everyday lives of Filipinos. In the meantime, Filipinos may not get to enjoy movie magic in the cinema, but with GMovies and UPSTREAM.PH, you can still enjoy the latest flicks at an affordable price. GMovies is simply your ticket to the latest shows.
To learn more about GMovies, you may visit GMovies’s official website: https://www.gmovies.ph/.